Post by genbee on Jun 12, 2018 3:13:19 GMT
CRADOC (1) Fraich-fras, or Cradoc of the mighty arm, was, as we have just seen, a grandson of Brychan, and in right of his father, lord (2) of Gloucester, a contemporary with king Arthur, one of the knights of his round table and lord keeper of " y Castell dolurus," or the dolorous tower.
Footnote 1 - Cradoc or Caradoc, which the Romans latinized into Caractacus, if written as we generally see it, may be derived from Caredig, beloved; but it should be spelt Caeradog quasi Caer-adwyog ; anglice, the breachmaker in the entrenchments. Braich, is an arm and Brâs is an old Welsh word for strong or large : the sirname is now known in English as Armstrong, and sometimes Stronitharm.
(Taken from the book "A History of the County of Brecknock" by Theophilus Jones, 1898.)
1235 – Adam Armstrong was pardoned for causing a death of another man. (Historian George Fraser Black)
1243 Aug 1 – The King pardons Adam Armstrong the plea of the Crown for the death of William Sotthred, of which he was accused before the justices errant at Carlisle, and gives him his peace. Wells. (Patent, 19 Hen. III. M.5.) Index p. 566
1281 – John Armstrong was killed by James de Multon, for whom Alexander III, solicits a pardon from his brother-in-law, Edward I, King of England. (Hist. Families of Dumfriesshire)
1320 – The Milnholm Cross was erected about 1320 in memory of Alexander Armstrong II, young lord of Maingertown, treacherously killed by William Lord Soulis at a feast in the castle of Hermitage when the Black Bull’s head was placed upon the table. (Chronicles of the Armstrong’s by James Lewis Armstrong, p. 90)
1328 March 31 – Easter 1338 William Armstrang
Number 1671 – Writ to Robert de Tughale, chamberlain of Berwick on Tweed.
Witness: --Edward, duke of Cornwall and earl of Chester, guardian of England. Kenyngton. 20 November 12 Edward III. (1338) by the council.
Inquisition: --Berwick on Tweed. 1 May 13 Edward III. (1339)
John le Taillour, son and heir of William le Taillour, sometime burgess of Berwick, long before that town came to the King’s hands, by his writing pledged to William Armstrang, burgess of Berwick, all his land with the buildings and other appurtenances in Berwick in the corner of Soutergate and Crosgate for 40 l.
The said William was seised of the land from 31 March A.D. 1328 until Easter A.D. 1338, when he was removed therefrom by Walter de Weston, late chamberlain in Scotland, because the said John adhered to the Scots enemies; the said 40 l. not having been paid, and he not being in seisin of the land. The land and buildings are held of the king by the yearly service of 6d., and are of the yearly value of 100s., and are now in the hand of John Mareis by the king’s gift. C. Inq. Misc. File 138. (17.)
Calendar of inquisitions miscellaneous (Chancery) preserved in the Public Record Office
By Great Britain. Court of Chancery; Great Britain. Public Record Office
1333 Jul 25 - List of Burgesses and others who took oath of Fealty in 1333 to Edward III, and got Letters of Protection from the king.
Taken from the book "Berwick-upon-Tweed: The History of the Town and Guild." page 446. (Google Books)
1334 Jul 4 - Petitioners: John del See of Felton and Marion del See, his wife. Name(s): See;...
John del See of Felton and Marion del See, his wife.
Nature of request:
John and Marion del See request the return of lands in Ravensden in Berwick-upon-Tweed, held by Marion since the time of King Alexander, but from which they were ousted by Brus. They are now in the king's hands following the forfeiture of Armestrange.
Nature of endorsement:
Assign the Lord Percy, Keeper of Berwick, Sir William de Bevercotes, chancellor there, and Robert de Tughale, chamberlain there, to enquire into the contents of this petition and other necessary articles, and to return the inquest into the chancery of England.
Felton, [Northumberland]; Ravynesden (Ravensden), Berwick-upon-Tweed, [Northumberland].
Alexander III, King of Scotland; Robert le Brus (Bruce); Richard Armestrange (Armstrong); [Henry de Percy], Lord Percy, keeper of Berwick-upon-Tweed; William de Bevercotes, chancellor of Berwick-upon-Tweed; Robert de Tughale (Tughall), chamberlain of Berwick-upon-Tweed.
An order to restore the petitioners to the tenement, issued following the return of the inquest by Percy and his colleagues, was issued on 4 July 1334.
1342 – In this year a payment of 40 pounds was made by the chamberlain of Scotland to Richard Harmestrang, for loan by him to the King at Calays. Payments were also made to him in the following year. (Exchequer Rolls, vol. I, p. 828.) (Chronicles of the Armstrong’s by James Lewis Armstrong, p. 98.)
1363 – Gilbert Armstrong, Steward of the household of David II of Scotland, as ambassador to England.
1388 – Sir John Amourstan (Sir John Armstrong); John Makirel (Maxwell); Mess John Gladwin (Gladstone); and Mess. John Ermouscon, were at the Battle of Otterburn on the 19 Aug 1388, they fought against the earl of Northumberland at Otterburne. (Chronicles of the Armstrong’s by James Lewis Armstrong p. 101, sourced from Thomas Johne’s early translation of Froissart’s Chronicles.)
Vlnesby als. Ousby but rightly Vlfsby, Habitatio Vlfi vel Olavi Dani was the seat and mansion of one Olave (whom the people commonly called Vlf), a Dane or Norwegian, that after the spoil of the country by the Danes (before the conquest of England by the Normans) seated himself there under the edge of the east mountains. He was one of the three sons of Haldan, the other two were Thorquell and Melmor: Melmor and this Vlf were placed in this part of the country, and Thorquell at Thorquellby near Keswick. The posterity of Vlf were called Vlfnesbies of this place, as the place itself took name of his first building there. It seems near the Conquest to have been parted between two sisters, and shortly after a moiety thereof betwixt four sisters; for in the time of Hen. 3rd one Julian Falcard and William Armstrong held the moieties, and Henry le Sergeant and Patrick de Vlnesby held eight parts, and the rest by alienations broken in small parcels, whereof some were given to Lanercost, some to the prior of St. John of Jerusalem, and others in frank marriage and many small purchases. But William Armstrong's part descended four descents and then was given to Clement Crofton and Johan his wife by Adam Armstrong who gave a third part thereof to Roger Salkeld and John Beauchamp. And Thomas Worship gave to John Raghton and he to Roger Salkeld an eighth part. Salkeld's part descended by Alice and Margaret his daughters and heirs to their husband's children, John Crackenthorp and Thomas Plumland. And John Crofton the son of Clement gave the other two third parts to William Threlkeld and Katherine his wife.
Taken from the book: An Accompt of the Most Considerable Estates and Families in the County of Cumberland, from the Conquest unto the Beginning of the Reign of K. James (the First). By John Denton, of Cardew. Pages 120 and 121.